Monday, September 24, 2012

Pilling A "Horse".. or a Normal Dog

I've been meaning to post about these two things for awhile, but I haven't gotten to it yet, or until today in the case of one of those things. Firstly, Jack is undergoing immunotherapy/hyposensitization/allergy shots, whichever you'd like to call it. More on that later, because it's a lot of cool and interesting stuff and I recommend it to anyone with an allergic dog.

Secondly, he had his first little "infection relapse" a couple of weeks ago so we took him into the veterinarian. Luckily, he wasn't itching, which is something new to us. However, it started out with a sudden large, oozing, seeping, nasty hot spot under his ear which we treated by trimming the area and cleaning it twice daily with a Povidone Iodine solution. That was his first "real" hot spot, but he always used to get little dry red itchy patches - about dime-sized - that I called hot spots. Only when I met that oozy thing did I realize the true meaning of "hot spot". I considered posting pictures, but I didn't want to gross you guys out.

Anyways, after it cleared up, which only took 2-3 days, his skin started turning dark and crusty. Rather quickly, little crusty patches started to spread from that side of his neck down to his shoulder, chest, then armpits. The hair on these patches would come off in crusty clumps. Again, he wasn't itchy, so I'd never seen anything like this. Cleaning them wasn't helping, so off to the vet we went!

Luckily, Jack didn't have to take the dreaded prednisone because he wasn't itching. He did get a horse-dose of cephalexin, an antibiotic, though. Two of these giant pills twice a day for three weeks. Look at the size of them! Look at the size of the bottle! Bet you've never seen a prescription bottle that big.

His three week course is over now, and his skin is all cleared up. Yay!

I'll share some tips that I use to pill my "horse" and my other dogs. Maybe they can help you too.


  • Cheese. Forget the peanut butter, it's too messy. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but my dogs lick peanut butter, rather than just swallow it like some other dogs do. Eventually he would uncover the pills.
  • Feed an insurance piece before the hidden drugs. It helps, I swear.
  • Really, you don't need a lot of cheese. Check out the small strip I used to cover up two of those giant pills. It's literally like, 1/5th of a slice, and some of it is going to the "insurance piece".
  • Sometimes that fails. Actually, it failed after I took the photos of this pilling, even though it works about 75% of the time. In that case, have your dog sit, quickly open his mouth, push the pills back into his mouth as you can, then hold the mouth shut. Do it quick, because it's really not pleasant for the dog or for you. One thing that I only learned after starting school is that the further you push the pills back, the quicker they swallow. Don't be afraid. Obviously, this is easier on small dogs than large dogs. With Jack, I literally stick my whole hand into his gaping mouth, and end up with slime all the way up to my wrist!
  • And just something that I find amusing:
From: The Frog Man


-Cynthia

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried inserting them into a piece of hot dog?

    (btw, do you know you have word verification on your comments?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    My name's Tammy and I'm the Marketing Coordinator at TheUncommonDog.com. I found your blog through Blog Paws and thought you might be interested in seeing a fun and engaging infographic we've created that focuses on dog safety during the hot summer months: http://www.theuncommondog.com/Images/infographics/dog-days-summer.jpg

    If you like the infographic and want to share it with your readers please feel free to do so. The only thing we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog.com in someway from your post.

    Also, definitely let me know if you do decide to post it because we'd be happy to spread the word about your blog by linking to your post from our Facebook page.

    Big Tail Wag!
    Tammy Sexton
    Marketing Coordinator
    tammy@theuncommondog.com
    www.theuncommondog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    It's me again, Tammy the Marketing Coordinator at The Uncommon Dog. We just finished another informative info-graphic that I thought you might be interested in. It's titled "How Dogs Became Our Best Friends!".

    If you love dogs, like we do, then you'll love this story. Recent scientific breakthroughs have increased our understanding about how dogs have come to play such an integral part of our daily lives. This fun and engaging info-graphic tells that story in a way that we hope makes it accessible and interesting to everyone.

    If you would like to share this info-graphic with your readers, please feel free to do so. You can find the info-graphic here: http://www.theuncommondog.com/how-dogs-became-our-best-friends.aspx Again, all we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog.com, in some way, from your post.

    Also, definitely let me know if you do decide to post it because we'd be happy to spread the word again about the blog post by linking to it from our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages.

    If you'd like your e-mail removed from our mailing list, please let us know.

    Big Tail Wag!
    Tammy Sexton
    Marketing Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia!

    My name is Tammy. I'm leaving you this comment on your blog because I could not find another way to contact you. I hope this is Ok.

    I thought you might be interested in our latest infographic "8 Tips To Keep Your Dog Safe and Stress-Free this Halloween". You can view it at Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/106131018@N08/10406281936/. FYI (in case you're not familiar) Flickr.com is owned by Yahoo!. It's a very safe site and won't hurt your computer. To download the infographic right click on it and Flickr will show you some options.

    If you like this infographic and want to share it with your readers, please feel free to do so. The only thing that we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog dot com in some way from your post.

    As a way of showing our appreciation to those who choose to share the infographic, I'd be happy to spread the word about the blog post by linking to it from our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. Just let me know that you posted it and send me the link.

    If you'd like to be removed from our contact list, please let me know.

    Big Tail Wag!
    Tammy Sexton
    Marketing Coordinator
    Tammy at TheUncommonDog dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am Ragdoll Mommy. Nice to met you:)

    I found my way to your blog, by going to Cat Chat; www.catchat.com



    Http://lifewithRagdolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete