Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's Been Happening at the Zoo

Wow.

Can you guys believe it's been, like, a whole friggin' year since I blogged? Craziness.

Time has flown. Well, things have calmed down just a little bit(who am I kidding..) and, more importantly, I've got the "blogging itch". So here I am, ready to tell you about all of the exciting changes that have happened since last September.

1. I completed my veterinary technology externship(similar to an internship, but shorter) at one of the country's top aquariums. A.K.A. I turned my dreams into real life. This was an eye-opening, amazing, educational, inspirational learning experience. Seriously. I can't really divulge very much, but things like giving a fish an injection, listening to and recording the heart rate of a dolphin, and assisting in the life-saving surgery of a tiny dart frog are experiences that will stay with me for ever.








2. I graduated!! Woohoo! That, right there, is my Associate of Science degree in Veterinary Technology. And those 2 other ladies? Well, they were my graduating class. It's a smaller college that works with monthly classes(thus monthly graduating classes), and we started out in the introductory class as 12. Then there were 3.

3. We purchased and moved into a new home.

 4. We've had a significant number of losses.

All of the rats passed away due to age-related factors. Some had symptoms of brain tumors, while others passed peacefully overnight.

Lilly passed away during transportation to our new home.

Due to changes in (human)family dynamics and living situations, Princess and Zoomie, the kitties, now live with my grandmother.

I "shut down" the mice and ASF breeding operations and now purchase the snakes' food from a semi-local breeder who practices hygienic and humane breeding and euthanasia.

5. On the flip, there have been some additions.

Shadow, the cat that I proclaimed to be "mine" and demanded that my grandma never ever get rid of or lose, has moved from my grandmother's home into ours.
 
We got a new African Clawed Frog. We got him before Lilly passed away, but have decided to name him "Pad" in her memory. He's a little bit deformed, in a cute way.








A new baby! No, not a furry baby. Not a scaly baby or slimy baby, either. A hairless baby! For now, for the sake of "privacy", we'll call him Little Keeper. As in, My Household Zoo's littlest zookeeper.














I think that's all. I'll be back tomorrow to let you all know where the blog is headed from this point as far as content, frequency, etc. I missed you guys; hope you missed us!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! What a YEAR!!! Congrats on graduating, CONGRATS ON THAT BEAUTIFUL BABY!!!!!!! And...I am so sorry about the loss of your "other" babies. Good to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a year, indeed! Thanks for the congrats. Yes, the losses were hard - with the rats; the first to suddenly pass was Belle and that was very, very hard on me. The others kind of followed suit over the next couple of months, most of them had the brain tumor that must have been hereditary and I was just happy when they were not suffering, confused, etc. anymore. but still sad to see them go. Lilly the frog was also quite the shocker and turned an already stressful time into a sad one as well.. That's when it's hardest. When they pass away unexpectedly. ):

      Delete